Board Meeting Highlights - May 18, 2015
Below are highlights from the District 39 Board of Education meeting on May 18, 2015.
Board Committee Reports
Kimberly Alcantara reported– Discussion covered work for next year including interior classroom doors at WJHS and space availability for pilot of on site enrichment program. Next meeting is June 11.
Mark Steen reported– Premium increase for medical insurance will be 5.4%.
John Flanagin reported. There was a good turn out for Rack*it bike tour and the Distinguished Citizen event was a big success. Annual meeting is May 27.
Tracy Kearney reported – Tentative WCSEA budget was adopted. Next meeting is November 16.
John Flanagin reported – Discussion included costs related to kindergarten enrichment and the self-insurance program for iPads. State funding was discussed; 75% of the state’s commitment has been received, but it is uncertain when the remaining payment will come. Next meeting is June 8th.
Kimberly Alcantara reported. The State Supreme Court has found Illinois’ pension reform bill unconstitutional. Illinois State Board of Education is discussing alternatives for apportioning General State Aid (GSA). There is a proposed formula that will be voted on June 17 that could reduce GSA to D39 by $500,000. In addition, there is a bill currently in the house would freeze property tax extensions for all taxing bodies in Illinois.
Announcements from the Superintendent
- PARCC testing has been completed. Results are expected in early fall. ISBE has already indicated that among expected revisions is the likelihood of reducing PARCC to a single testing window next spring.
- Notifications continue to parents about the June 12th bus registration deadline. Parents need to register by this date in order to avoid a late fee.
- D39 continues to monitor available space for Kindergarten Enrichment in D39. A future pilot of an optional kindergarten enrichment program is under consideration.
- CRC report – CRC president Julie Andrianopoli, vice president Amanda Doblin, and member Matthew Pietrafetta presented this year’s report, Cultivating Growth Minded, Resilient Students. The Superintendent’s response will be presented in August.
- Mr. Denenberg – K-4 Keyboarding Materials – An updated keyboarding program, Typing Club, has been selected. Implementation will happen in 2015-16.
- Ms. Buscemi – Fiscal Year 2016 District 39 Tentative Budget – As required by law, the Board approves the tentative budget and schedules a public hearing, which will take place on Monday, August 24, 2015.
- Dr. Palzet – 5-8 Scheduling Committee – The initial work of the committee was presented.
The Consent Agenda was approved including the following:
- Personnel Report dated May 18, 2015
- Fiscal Year 2016 District 39 Tentative Budget and Public Hearing
- Fiscal Year 2016 WCSEA Tentative Budget and Public Hearing
- 2015-16 Administrators Contracts
- WEA Letter of Agreement
The next meeting of the District 39 Board of Education will be on
Monday, June 22, 2015 at 7:00 PM at the Mikaelian Education Center.