Board of Education
Code of Conduct for Members
Members of the Board of Education represent the public interest in education and are expected to adhere to the following commitments:
- To represent all School District constituents honestly and equally and refuse to surrender responsibilities to special interests or partisan political groups.
- To avoid any conflict of interest or the appearance of impropriety which could result from being a member of the Board of Education.
- To eschew Board membership for personal gain or publicity.
- To recognize that a Board member has no legal authority as an individual but that decisions must be made by a majority vote at a Board meeting.
- To take no private action that might compromise the Board or administration.
- To respect the confidentiality of privileged information and to respect the confidentiality of executive session information.
- To abide by majority decisions of the Board while retaining the right to seek changes in such decisions through ethical and constructive channels.
- To encourage and respect the free expression of opinions by Board members and others who seek a hearing before the Board.
- To be knowledgeable about local, state and national educational issues.
- To treat fellow Board members with respect and refrain from making ad hominem attacks against fellow Board members.
- Board of Education members, as individuals, have no authority over school affairs, except as provided by law or as authorized by the Board.
Adopted: October 20, 1997
Revised: March 20, 2006