Administrator for Student and Special Services
(Requires General Administrative Certification Type 75, Superintendent Endorsement and Director of Special Education Approval)
To serve as the Administrator for Student and Special Services with administrative functions as assigned by the Superintendent.
The Administrator for Student and Special Services reports directly to the Superintendent. The following positions report directly to the Administrator for Student and Special Services:
- Early Childhood Coordinator
- Special Education Coordinator(s)
- Department Chairpersons
- School Psychologists
- Serve as Director of Special Education
- Attend all Board of Education Meetings, and prepare such reports for the Board as are appropriate to the primary function which may be requested by the Superintendent or the Board of Education.
- Attend all meetings of the Administrative Council.
- Assist the Superintendent in providing leadership to the implementation of instructional programs for students receiving programs and support from student services.
- Direct Health Services assuring compliance with ISBE and IDPH regulations. Serve as District representative on the Wilmette Board of Health.
- Direct the supervision and implementation of ELL (English Language Learners) programs.
- Coordinate the implementation of counseling services, including a comprehensive program providing social emotional benchmarks grades PreK through 8.
- Direct the implementation of student registration and serve as records custodian, in compliance with state and federal requirements.
- Direct compliance with ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, including program development and complaint resolution.
- Establish consistent procedures and practices in support of a comprehensive safe schools program.
- Establish procedures for placement, evaluation, assignment, and reappraisal of students with regard to student services and special education programs.
- Remain current with legal requirements governing special education and provide staff development to assist special services staff in becoming knowledgeable regarding legal guidelines for the instruction of students with special needs.
- Develop budget recommendations and provide expenditure control on established budgets for student services and special education, including federal and state monies.
- Direct the recruitment, selection, and recommendation for hiring of student services personnel.
- Coordinate with parent groups of students enrolled in student services programs.
- Provide oversight to the processes for early identification of students with special needs.
- Evaluate existing programs and make recommendations for changes or additions as needed.
- Assume responsibility for compiling, maintaining, and filing all reports, records, and other documents required by the State Board of Education or the Board of Education; and designate specific responsibility for such records and reports.
- Supervise preparation of attendance reports and similar data necessary to reimbursement of funds, collection of tuition for out-of-district students and other fiscal matters.
- Arrange and coordinate transportation of children placed in special education programs.
- Arrange and coordinate home instruction for homebound or hospitalized students.
- Confer with the appropriate administrator on matters of common concern.
- Perform such other duties and assume such other responsibilities as may be assigned by the Superintendent of Schools.
NOTE: The Administrator for Student and Special Services work year shall be from July 1st to June 30th with twenty (20) vacation days. Fringe benefits will be according to Board policy.
Revised: August 20, 2007