Assistant Principal—Elementary School
(Requires General Administrative Certification Type 75)
Assist the principal in the administration, organization, safety, supervision and educational leadership of the school. The assistant principal assumes the administrative leadership of the school in the absence of the principal.
The assistant principal reports directly to the principal and the Superintendent of Schools.
- Advises the principal in matters relating to the supervision and evaluation of the staff and instructional program; the development and implementation of related programs; and the utilization and care of the buildings.
- Assist with discipline/behavior management and follow up with parents and teachers as needed.
- Confer with staff on building issues.
- Assist with lunch/recess supervision and the selection and supervision of playground and cafeteria staff.
- Assist with before/after school supervision of students.
- Coordinate PTA club/Foreign Language & Enrichment Activities/Room Assignments.
- Assist with student teacher placement/paperwork.
- Represent principal in Intervention & SAT meetings.
- Cover classes when necessary.
- Coordinate IOWA/ISAT Testing.
- Coordinate building use/school calendar.
- Attend parent/teacher conferences when administration is needed.
- Assist with screening teaching and parapro candidates.
- Evaluate parapros.
- Follow up on work orders.
- Provide school tours and information to new parents.
- Provide placement/scheduling assistance.
- Assist with parent interaction/returning calls.
- Resolve attendance/tardiness issues.
- Provide summer assistance.
- Assist with the opening and closing of school year.
- Assist with inventory of teaching materials and transfer of materials to other schools.
- Assist the principal with special projects.
- Assist with monitoring and tracking building budget.
- Update handbooks.
- Mentor new teachers.
- Coordinate Outdoor Ed.
- Introduce/close assemblies.
- Assist with the review/implementation of the Crisis Plan.
- Provide staff development assistance.
- Provide curriculum collaboration representation.
- Attend PTA events as principal representative (for weekend/evening events).
- Assist in development and implementation of S.I.P.
- Assist with technology.
- Help design surveys/analyze surveys.
- Provide oversight/issues/liaison for building maintenance.
- Conduct fire drills, etc.
- Attend grade level meetings.
- Assist with emergencies.
- Perform other duties and assume other responsibilities as assigned by the Principal or Superintendent.
NOTE: The Elementary Assistant Principals’ work year shall be from July 1st to June 30th with twenty (20) vacation days. Fringe benefits will be according to Board policy.