Below are highlights from the District 39 Board of Education meeting on April 30, 2013
The materials from this meeting can be found here.
- Dr. Lechner congratulated Romona Principal Heather Glowacki on earning her Doctorate.
- Dr. Lechner introduced Educational Foundation Chair Tracy Kearny and other Foundation members who presented a generous donation of $55,000 from their Inspiring Scientists Fund. This represents the first half of the fundraising goal for this fund, which was created to support the new science curriculum and WJHS’ new science facilities with equipment and materials.
- Dr. Lechner invited Dr. Palzet to talk about awards recently earned by WJHS students. He introduced more than 30 students who had earned recognition in a variety of academic competitions: Illinois Poetry Society’s Manningham Poetry Contest, Certamen (Latin Quiz Bowl), You Be The Chemist Challenge, Math Counts, Illinois Superstate Band Festival, North Cook ISC Scripps Regional Spelling Bee, and Toshiba ExploraVision.
- Dr. Lechner reminded parents that this is the time to register students for next year. Early registration helps with class section planning. Dr. Thrasher highlighted the registration progress to date and encouraged parents to register their students as soon as possible.
- Dr. Lechner announced that with Kelly Jackson leaving the District, Amy Freese will be the new Assistant Principal (Grade Level Administrator) for WJHS. Ms. Freese was introduced and shared her excitement about this new role.
- Dr. Lechner introduced a security and safety update. Dr. Thrasher provided detail on safety improvements in the District.
- Dr. Lechner announced that all damage from the recent severe weather has been repaired except for the Central gym floor. In addition, the school year will not need to be extended because WJHS remained open.
- Dr. Lechner introduced the Asbestos Abatement Bid Contract for Romona School. In conjunction with the Romona Auditorium renovation, the life safety asbestos abatement work will also take place this summer; this will complete the District’s 10-Year Life Safety Plan. Dr. LeRoy presented details.
- Dr. Lechner introduced the Fiscal Year 2014 Operating Funds Tentative Budget: Education, Operations and Maintenance, Transportation, Municipal Retirement, Working Cash and Tort. Continuing with the FY14 Budget development process, the Board is reviewing the Operating Funds with a goal to have a complete tentative Budget at the May meeting. Dr. LeRoy presented details.
- Dr. Lechner introduced the report on Professional Growth Networks (PGNs), the innovative teacher development program launched in the District this year. Changing the professional development paradigm has been a well-received initiative. Mrs. Horowitz provided detail.
- Dr. Lechner introduced two reports related to planning for 2013-14. Enrollment Projections is the “first look” at enrollment for 2013-14 so the District can carefully plan the number of staff needed to support programs within established class-size guidelines. Dr. Clauson provided detail noting the District is planning to make chorus at WJHS part of the curriculum. Plans continue for the Special Education Self-Contained Classroom for students with behavior/emotional challenges to expand the District’s continuum of services starting in the 2013-14 school year. Dr. Thrasher provided additional detail.