Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Request.
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) is a state statute that provides the public the right to access government documents and records. The premise behind FOIA is that the public has a right to know what the government is doing. The law provides that a person can ask a public body for a copy of its records on a specific subject and the public body must provide those records, unless there is an exemption in the statute that protects those records from disclosure.
District 39 is obligated to respond within 5 business days after the request is received. Day 1 of the 5-day timeline is the first business day after the request is received by the public body. If additional time is needed, the public body must notify the requester in writing within 5 business days after the receipt of the request of the statutory reasons for the extension and when the requested information will be produced.
There are several exceptions to public disclosure that include, but are not limited to: private information, personal information, law enforcement records, preliminary drafts, business trade secrets, proposals and bids until a final selection is made and requests that are unduly burdensome. The requester will be notified in writing specifying the reasons for the denial. The requester has the right to appeal the public body’s response by filing a request for review with the Attorney General’s Public Access Counselor within 60 calendar days.
Additional information can be found by going to the Illinois Attorney General’s website: foia.ilattorneygeneral.net/Default.aspx
How to File a FOIA Request
- Please provide the following information:
- Requester’s Name
- Name of Organization (if applicable)
- How requested documents should be delivered (pick-up, mail, fax, email)
- Address to where the file should be sent (if applicable)
- Requestor's telephone number(s)
- Specific information regarding the documents being sought
- Complete and signed FOIA Request Form
- File a FOIA request in one of the following ways:
- Mail or deliver to:
- Wilmette Public Schools District 39
Mikaelian Education Center
615 Locust Road
Wilmette, Illinois 60091
- Fax to FOIA Officer at 847-256-1782
- Scan and email to email@example.com
If you have any questions, please contact Wilmette Public Schools, District 39 FOIA Officer Gail Buscemi at 847-256-2450.