Teen Dating Violence Prohibited
Engaging in teen dating violence that takes place at school, on school property, at
school-sponsored activities, or in vehicles used for school-provided transportation is
prohibited. For purposes of this policy, the term teen dating violence occurs whenever a
student who is 13 to 19 years of age uses or threatens to use physical, mental, or
emotional abuse to control an individual in the dating relationship; or uses or threatens
to use sexual violence in the dating relationship.
“Dating” or “dating relationship” means an ongoing social relationship of a romantic
or intimate nature between two persons. “Dating” or “dating relationship” does not
include a casual relationship or ordinary fraternization between two persons in a school
or social context.
The Superintendent or designee shall develop and maintain a program to respond to
incidents of teen dating violence that:
- Fully implements and enforces all applicable Board policies including but not
limited to Board Policy 7:20, Harassment of Students, and Board Policy 7:180,
Preventing Bullying and Other Aggressive Behaviors.
- Encourages anyone with information about incidents of teen dating violence to
report them to any of the following individuals:
- Any school staff member. School staff shall respond to incidents of teen
dating violence by following the District’s established procedures for the
prevention, identification, investigation, and response to bullying and school
- The Nondiscrimination Coordinator, Building Principal, Assistant Building
Principal, Dean of Students, or a Complaint Manager identified in Board
Policy 7:20, Harassment of Students.
- Incorporates age-appropriate health education and social-emotional instruction
in grades 7 and 8, in accordance with the District’s comprehensive health
education program in Board Policy 6:60, Curriculum Content. This includes
incorporating student social and emotional development into the District’s
educational program as required by State law and in alignment with Board
Policy 6:65, Student Social and Emotional Development.
- Incorporates education for school staff on teen dating violence.
- Notifies students and parents/guardians of this policy.
Adopted: January 27, 2014
Revised: January 23, 2017